Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

NPR and Book Review: Look of Architecture


NPR has been doing a series on the city called The Urban Frontier and today they spoke with Witold Rybczynski about a Chester County, PA development called New Daleville (see the story here). Rybczynski is a really prolific writer -- he's the architecture critic for the on-line magazine Slate and, according to Wikipedia, he's written over 200 articles. His most recent book was Late Harvest: How a Cornfield Became New Daleville. I read an excerpt on Slate when it came out last year; its exploration of the history of development and New Urbanism didn't really intrigue me, so I haven't read the rest of it. I have, though, read The Look of Architecture, his book from 2001, which I enjoyed.

Look is a really short read, only 144 pages, and its very compact. In it, Rybczynski explores style -- what it is, why its important to architecture, and, in the most interesting part of the book, the relationship between style and fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.