Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Movie Review: District 9

We went to see the new movie District 9 last night. It was very good but it was brutal to watch. If you have a weak stomach be sure to bring someone with you who can tell you when it's safe to look. I spent a big chunk of the movie watching the side of my husband's face and, even then, I got a little queasy.

District 9 is a documentary-style movie, set in Johannesburg, South Africa, about the forced relocation of an alien (space alien, not illegal immigrant alien) slum. Like all great science fiction, though, its really holding a cracked mirror up to society and showing us ourselves. At its best, this movie is very powerful and thought-provoking. At its worst, it is hitting you over the head a little hard (apartheid! We get it!). Star Sharlto Copley is fantastic, though, and does an amazing job of carrying much of the emotional weight of this movie.

It is definitely worth getting past the violence and seeing District 9.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. My husband and father both want to see this movie and your review is good prep for me - be ready for the violence.

    :) Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting film. I've been seeing the previews everywhere and wondered about it. I enjoyed your review, but I'm not sure I'd be able to take all that violence.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.