Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday Update 6/18

Most Fridays, I update my library and share what new books I bought or received during the past week.

From Librarything, for review: Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir

For my book club: The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint. I've never read anything by him before but the lady who rang me up at the bookstore was quite enthusiastic about him. I hope I like it as book club is in a week and I haven't cracked it yet.

Just for fun: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel by Charlaine Harris. The husband read it first and then I just finished it. It's been so long since I read the last book in the series (From Dead to Worse) that it took me a little bit to get into it. But Sookie's always fun for some mindless reading, if you're in the mood for that kind of thing.

In other news, as I noted before, I had some serious computer trouble after some sleazebag hacked my email accounts. He (or she) got into both my primary and back-up accounts, plus my Facebook account, and locked me out for a full day, while he used my account to send spam to everyone I know. And it wasn't selling fake Vi@gr@ kind of spam - he was claiming to be me, stranded in another country, and asking for money. I am both touched and alarmed that so many people responded with offers to help. As far as I can tell, the thief didn't manage to actually get any money (and I took the step of contacting Western Union and placing a block on my name, so hopefully that further prevented any thievery).

So, what have we learned?
1. Use different passwords for all your accounts and change them often. Every couple of months, at least.
2. Never, ever send money to someone based on an email. If you are concerned that it might really be that person in danger, ask for some kind of corroborating evidence, such as some fact that only they would know.

And, while you're at it, back up your blog, too, because I'm in a PSA kind of mood.

Assuming no further computer-related snafu's happen this weekend, I will be back Monday with my regular programming.

1 comment:

  1. In addition to using a unique password on every site, you want to make sure they are all strong passwords -- 14 characters or more using the greatest variety of characters possible.

    If you're feeling extremely concerned about password security, you might want to use a password manager -- software which generates strong passwords and stores them in a secure account, protected by the only password you need to remember.

    Ironically, the manager I use keeps telling me that my work passwords (assigned by our high falutin' IT department) are very weak :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.