Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Review: Jack With a Twist


Jack with a Twist by Brenda Janowitz is her second book starring lawyer Brooke Miller. In this one, she's planning a wedding with and litigating against her fiance, fellow lawyer Jack Solomon. I missed the first book, Scot on the Rocks, but had no problem catching up, as Janowitz covers the events in that book early on.

In honor of the book's subject, I thought I'd do this review in lawyerly fashion.

Point: Funny! Some parts -- especially the imaginary emails and newspaper clippings interspersed through the book -- are even laugh out loud funny, which I think is a rarity.
Counterpoint: I found Brooke, the main character and narrator, to be annoyingly naive and late to pick up on things that were obvious to me pretty early on. The big reveal on her best friend's boyfriend? Not that surprising.

Point: True to life! Anyone who has planned a wedding will see characters they recognize in this one. Pushy in-laws are a theme.
Counterpoint: Way too true to life! I am fairly recently married (just over a year) and I found parts of this book to be stressful to read. And I love my in-laws!

Point: A quick read for the holidays (or on a beach, if you are heading to warmer climates this season).
Counterpoint: This isn't really a meaty book (ha! pun not intended, for those of you have read this and know what Brooke's father does for a living). It's kind of predictable.

Conclusion: Fun to read, especially for those of you who just love chick lit or wedding-related books.

Buy Jack With a Twist on Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. This one is on my TBR pile; given that it sounds light and fun, I may bump it up once I'm finished my current depressing war book...

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.