Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Review: Looking for Alaska


The plot of Looking for Alaska is fairly simple: a teenager, Miles, sick of his life at home, goes to a boarding school. He makes friends with a quirky group, whose heart is "the gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young." Then something really terrible happens, and the teens have to put their lives back together and learn how to live with the tragedy. To me, it was part The Catcher in the Rye, part A Separate Peace, maybe part Prep. The voice and structure, though, were uniquely John Green.

I really enjoyed Looking for Alaska. The first part - pre-tragedy - was quite funny and engaging, and I was very moved by the latter part. I recommend this book for any reader but I think teens would find a lot to relate to in this book - including the heavy drinking, extensive talk about sex, and juvenile pranks.

Buy Looking for Alaska on Amazon.
You might also be interested in the Penguin Reading Guide for Looking for Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.