Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Peter Zumthor, 2009 Pritker Laureate

Not that anyone asked, but I am quite pleased that, as most news services have reported by now, Peter Zumthor has won this year's Pritzker Prize. The Pritzker is the highest honor in architecture and, really, I found it astonishing that Zumthor hadn't won yet.


I've never had the pleasure of visiting any of Zumthor's built projects, unfortunately. When I was in Switzerland, I really wanted to go see his most famous project, the thermal baths at Val (photo above), but didn't have the time. I will just have to go back sometime! I have, though, seen him lecture, which was just wonderful. Also, I did a project in grad school about his Bregenz art museum (below), after which a small group of us got to have a meeting with one of the project's engineers to discuss the building in depth. That was pretty cool.


One of the things I like about Zumthor is that you never really know what you are going to get from him. The building will be beautiful and well-thought-out, but he has no set style. Unlike a Frank Gehry, who you hire because you want a Gehry building (read: swoopy and shiny), Zumthor produces something new and beautiful each time.

photos from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.